Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Thought Sequence from Haiku

My girlfriend is inspiring... I want your opinion if you care to share.

she looks at me

urgently—

the sound of thunder.


if I was going to be honest,

let your hand travel

lower than my shoulderbone

& keep breathing in,

pushing out carbon,

no faces or ghosthands inside

my lungs,


pain attaches to lust,

the unwanted guest at dinner,

the old woman with too much red

lipstick, painting her eyes

in the corner.


She sometimes whispers my secrets

aloud in rooms with known faces

without a veil, only downturned eyes,

yellow teeth & whiskey,

I want to ask if this is me.


Ask whoever invented the constant

of time. Decided that we move

according to spinning hands

or the shadow of the sun.

I wonder if they know

they invented music as well.


I move according to stress

& tension, my bones decided this

before I had a reason to object,

but you touch me so gently.

I remember we survive

by reshaping,

molding differently into clay

perhaps there is a chance

for us after all.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Such a good combination of lovely, dream-like language and stark, frightening language. Really good beginning and ending lines too-- starts with tension, urgency then ends with acceptance, release.

    Also, the stanza that starts "She sometimes whispers my secrets" reminded me of Lady Lazarus by Sylvia Plath (which I love).

    I think you've just inspired me to write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a beautiful love poem <3 you guys together!

    ReplyDelete